Monday, March 10, 2014

Flying Solo!

“Rishi, I need my backpack empty in the next 15 minutes.”

So, going on a vacation is not always easy. At least, it has never been a simple task for me. Till date I have been on a holiday either with my family, friends or my hubby. For the first time ever, I was going to fly solo. But, it wasn't going to be as easy as anticipated.

“Are you really planning this alone? You do not even know what flight is reasonable or what hotel is decent “, my husband, Rishi, was not so keen on my trip. He was concerned for me which made him doubtful of my venture. His uncertainty had become a challenge for me. I had to travel alone this time. He handed me his favorite backpack and tried to talk me out of my crazy trip idea.

“You could have chosen Mahabaleshwar, Matheran or some nearby beach. Why do you want to go for a Gujarat trip? “

“That is my native, I want to explore it honey. Do not worry. Plus, I am travelling with an I-pad and a good network provider. I will have my phone as well, which is GPS equipped.”

“And what is that going to do?”

“It is going to keep me informed with the routes, hotels and places of my interest.”

“What if your battery runs out?”

“I am intelligent you see, I got a travel charger.”

“What about your flight tickets and stuff? You are going to call me for getting your bookings done for sure.”

“No, I am going to travel smart with Skyscanner.”

“A woman travelling alone to explore her native, sure sounds smart!”

I was annoyed with his statement, but I had to keep my cool and convince him for get away adventure.

“A woman can be smarter with Skyscanner. It also has a phone application.”

“What is it?”

“An application that is going to tell me the flight details, help me with finding the most reasonable ones and it will do the booking too. Not only that, I have already started booking the best of the affordable hotels in my route.”

“It sounds impressive!”

“Haha! I know, in fact the application has already helped me to shortlist the best places of Gujarat that will help me know my culture better. I also know what place is famous for what cuisine, the tourist spots and the people and tradition developed there. I already have a bucket list of things to do in Gujarat and all because of my Sky!.”

“So now I have no valid reason to stop you?”


And there I just had a proud moment of victory. I packed my backpack carrying two jeans, a few t-shirts, a camera, I-pad and my phone. Almost all my transactions were online, so I did not have to worry losing cash or tickets. I was excited to leave for my 10 day venture alone. I was all ready to travel around my native and discover myself in the process. 

Travelling smart is easy, only if you get the right lead!

My entry for Indiblogger - Skyscanner contest!

No comments:

Post a Comment