Sunday, February 8, 2015

A valentine's special post!

Her parents were not going to accept this relationship whatsoever, but today she was going to try her best to tell them the truth. She walked towards the kitchen where her mother was cooking breakfast for them all.

"Ma, I need to tell you something"

"Is it important? I have a lot of preparations to do for the evening"

"Yes it is regarding the same"

Her mother stared at her for sometime and replied, "I know you are nervous so I have called Diva to help you out"

She stood there silently while her mother continued serving the upma. She wanted to speak and this was the right time, but she knew she needed more than just strength to say what she wanted to.

All day passed by while she was thinking of what to do and how to avoid this situation. Around 4 in the afternoon her mother came in with a dress.

"Your father has asked you to wear this one if you like it, he says you look really pretty in blue"

"Yeah she definitely looks great in blue" said a voice from outside the door. It was Diva,  her childhood friend. They had spent almost all their life together and knew each other quite well. She did not respond to Divya comments and trying to avoid her presence she started changing into the dress her mother had got. Her father had invited a probable proposal to meet her today, she could not say no and had to meet the boy.

"Divya please get her ready, they will be here in an hour"

The two girls were quiet, she was trying her best not to make eye contact with Divya and Divya was trying her best to remain quite. They both knew that whatever was happening was not right and if the boy says yes there will be no scope for her to reject the proposal. Just when Divya was about to ask her something, there were some voices coming from the living room.

"I think they are here, I should go help aunt in the kitchen"

She had a tear rolling down her left cheek as Divya walked towards the kitchen. Wiping her face she got ready to go out.

She was waiting near the living room entrance when her mother called her out. It was the usual arrange marriage setup where the boy's family  was asking her questions and in some time the two were left alone to speak to each other. All the while she could not take it, she lived someone else and all this was not right at all. Soon after the meeting was over and she went in the bedroom, Divya was waiting for her there.

"How was he? Tell me more of the meeting, am really excited!"

"Why are you pretending this?"

"Pretending what?"

"You are making it worse for me, why did you even come?"

"To let you know that I am with you in whatever decision you make. I know what you are going through"

She started crying a lot, Divya hugged her tight and tried to console her.

"I know you love me and that is all that I need from you, I don't need a marriage with you to know that you love me too"

Sobbing, she finally hugged Divya, the love of her life , the love that nobody would ever understand or even try to understand. The two friends were together ever since they could remember. The same school, same college and lived in the same neighborhood. The two of them helped each other sneak out to meet their respective boyfriends and the two of them were there to cheer up each other during a break up. It was once when she was at Divya house when they were sitting next to each other talking of love that they accidentally kissed. It was natural and very spontaneous. They were in love with each other and not friends as the world perceived them to be. Now after being together for 2 years as lovers, they knew things would not go any further. They knew they lived in a society where even normal couples had to go through moral policing and honor killings if fallen in love, they definitely held no chance of being together with the acceptance of their families or the so called society who has set rules which can bend according to time and need.

# I do not know why but even though we say that we or our generation is open to everything, we still are narrow with our thinking. I felt ashamed of myself when I realised that even I was a part of people who would laugh or call someone gay just like that. Is it wrong being gay or lesbian?  Is it wrong loving someone? I don't think so, I mean I am straight but I still cannot figure out what love exactly is, then how can we say that their love is wrong? A small blog post to respect the ones who have found love irrespective of caste, age or gender...

No comments:

Post a Comment