Thursday, January 16, 2014

From Biotech to War Barricade

The pride and honor that a uniform gives a man is not comparable with anything else. The life of a cadet is nowhere close to us – the civilians. The discipline, hard work and dedication that soldiers possess are nothing less than an inspiration. In the day when a son does not bother about his own mother, these soldiers die with a smile on their face considering our country no less than their own mothers. We can never feel what emotions they go through when they shed their blood for protecting us – protecting their motherland. The uniform is dignity irrespective of Army, Navy or Air force.

I have always been fascinated with men in uniforms. There was a cantonment area I used to pass by every day morning on my way to college. I could see beautiful black horses grazing on the fields, some colonels and lieutenants playing golf and uniform men busy with their schedule. The whole area was different than the other parts of the city. They all belonged to a different higher clan, maybe royals when compared to the civilians. I had quite a few friends who wanted to join the defense but very few could actually make it there. Among all the ones who are now cadets and getting trained vigorously, there is one particular guy who is making it far very fast.

I remember my friend describing him as the Biotechnology Department Topper whose intellect was very high compared to the others in their batch. When I saw him in person, me being my judgmental self thought he would do his masters outside India and probably be a researcher for a breakthrough discovery. I guessed he was another one who wanted to earn a few good bucks and a great name. I was stunned when a few days back I saw his photo in a perfect Army Uniform with neatly trimmed hair portraying a different personality altogether.

I couldn't help but ask him how and why and when did this transformation happen. When I asked him what the difference between army and civilian life is and how his life has changed after getting selected in the defense, he replied that the biggest difference is that as a civilian he hardly walked a kilometer and now he has to run for 10-12 kilometers every day. He said his life had completely changed; he is become stronger, both mentally and physically. At times he has to walk 70 kilometers with 20-22 kgs of weight on his back.

I wanted to know more about the punishments he had to go through as military is supposedly very harsh in this matter. He agreed to it and said that they had penalties even for the smallest mistake. Punishments were never a part of his life as a civilian. According to him, the reprimands are dreadful at times but they are worth it for breaking in some rules.

He does all the adventure sports we talk of doing every day. Para gliding, hill climbing, river rafting and so many. I mean who will not feel pride in handling real guns and grenades that most of the guys crave for but end up playing with them in counter strike only. He told me about a weapon handling training where he learnt how to use all weapons like AK 47, hand grenades, missiles, etc that he had just heard of as a college student. The power he felt after holding those weapons was an amazing experience. It also made him realize the responsibility he had on him.

When I asked him what was the best part of joining the army. He sent me a grin, :-D and replied

“Girls find my haircut very sexy. Apart from that I have the uniform so many people only dream of. I am looked with admiration and my family is proud of having a soldier in the family. Many in the college are trying in the defense and I hoe they all make it as well”

It was a nice chat with him. I got to know so many aspects of being in the army. The energetic training, the tough schedule, the closely controlled routine and the deadly punishments were all something I have never been through and maybe I won’t be able to survive it either. His life is going to be a challenge after this. He will have no specific job timings and no festive vacations. But none of these stopped him from joining the Army.

Today, where so many of us want to get out India and live abroad because we want our personal success, there are a few of them who still believe in serving for the country. And as for my friend, very few selfless people can take a detour from biotech to a war barricade.
It would be a better end with a salute to everybody who is in the Army or wants to be a part of it. As it is truly said


“The uniform thus is not fit for all. It finds the one who is worth it.”

- By Anvi Mehta

No comments:

Post a Comment