Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Wishing Lamp

"My lantern just floated away in the air. And I was there with a lot of them around me. Hardly anybody knew what exactly had happened. Nobody knew why I was smiling so much or rather say blushing."
It all started with my tantrums - I so wanted one of those "tangled" lamps floating around in the skies. Lately, there were a lot of them seen. He being the one who loved me had to go get one ofcourse. That was mandatory for him - especially after 5 years of our sweet and salty love affair. We were net buddies in the start, met eachother after a lot of chatting anf texting. Initially, we werent at all serious with eachother, we thought our relation would not last more than 3 months. But than cupid had dicferent plans, we fell hard for eachother. 5 years but we were still the same newbie lovers. Today evening all my friends, he and me went up on the terrace to light those lamps. All of us had wishes written on our lamps. He did look a little off and wierd to me then. I thought he was upset on me or maybe he was just trying to like all the lamp and wishes stuff - i knew he wasnt into any of it. I asked him to help me light my lamp. He lit the fuel and we were waiting for the lantern to light. Both of us were holding it facing opposite to eachother. The terrace was completely dark. He looked handsome in the yellow lamp light. I was staring at him, smiling for what all he did for me. Almost all the time I was looking at him, admiring him. He was looking at me too, but he was quite nervous about something. His wierd expressions were quite funny.
The lamp was almost ready to float away - we just had to leave it. Everybody around us had left their lamps to go away somewhere unknown. They were all cheering and shouting and guessing of where their lamp would go. Nobody saw us standing still.
Just before I could ask him to leave our lamp, he looked at me and murmured something.
I asked him what he was saying. That was when he asked to me let go of the lamp. Our lamp was just above our heads when he came closer to me, held my hands and looking at me asked the one question that I was dreading to answer for years
"Will you marry me?"
It was unbelievable. I am a romance freak and something like this was the peak of being romantic. The best moment in my life - in the light of our lamp floating away, I saw him asking me this. I wished the moment never came to an end. I wished we could juat be like that forever. I did not even need to answer him, my rarely occurring combination of "smile and tears" said it all. I looked at him and hugging him tight said YES.
This was it; never expected situation. I kinda freaked out a little, but he always knows how to control the hyper side of me. He just kissed me on my forehead and said, "Relax honey, I am yet to propose you with your bollywood film style - getting on my knees and a dianond ring" I laughed at him. And then we were standing there seeing our lamp go away , in the dark, enjoying our defining moment. I was holding his hands tightly and he was holding me in his arms. In this he asked me,
"By the what was your wish on the lamp?"
"You just fulfilled it"
]

- By Anvi Mehta

1 comment: