Tuesday, December 24, 2013

My Family..!!


Today was one heck of a day. I am extremely tired. So for today I chose the topic I could write a whole thesis on - My Family. I am going to jot down everything and anything that comes in my mind. The topic is like a junior school essay topic, but I love it.

 So today was a day which started with a lot of drama. My family is not a dad,mom and sister. It is my grandparents who have five sons and their wives who together have 7 daughters and 3 sons. To those all who do not know me and my family, we are the 'Mehta Family', a mixture of characters, cultures and creed. I always thought my family was the Indian version of Modern Family. Each time with the accidents and incidents they happen with them it becomes more obvious.

This is what happened in the morning as well. I got up to see 8 miscalls on my phone from my mother, uncle and cousin. It scared me a little as my family has seen a lot of bad times lately. Before I could call anybody, my brother called me back. I received his call and was wide awake after listening to him.

 "Anvi, I had a call from D Uncle yesterday. Why did you not tell me that somebody was harassing you in the office? I am coming to meet him soon."

I was alert now. My brother, Dhaval was a wrestler. He is still known for college gang riots and stuff. He is 6' plus and very well built. He was like the literal 'bhai' of our house.

 "I did not understand you Bhai"

 "You told uncle yesterday that somebody is irritating you in the office. You cried a lot on his phone right?"

 I was again lost in thoughts. Around 12 hours back I had a talk to my mother. I was feeling quite low because of a bad headache. I did not exactly cry but did have a heavy voice. I was telling her how a sub ordinate tried to argue with me in the office. I told her I did not like the way he talked to me and I hate him and a lot of other things related to the incident. These situations are quite normal in the corporate world but I am not used to listening to anybody. I told Mom I wanted to come back home and I do not wish to stay in Pune. My mom was quite used to these tantrums as I repeat the same thing every 10 days. I am still adjusting with the drastic changes happening in my life. But the problem that happened here was, my mom was not alone when I called her. My D uncle was there as well. He is extra caring at times. And after my father and grandfather passed away in the same year, he feels like all the responsibilities have come on him. This is one reason he thinks a lot over any problem related to us. He was very worried after mom said I had cried on her phone. But I never knew that something more was going to happen.

 "Bhai it is a normal incident. Do not take it so seriously."

"Anvi I am coming to your office today. And do not worry bade kaka n dad has said that not to cause any violence in the office. Just thoda dhamki dekar aa jana"

 I was flabbergasted. For my family a little dhamki was very casual. I mean I do not say that my family is filled with gangsters, but except for my bade kaka nobody is an angel either.

I had a call from my bade kaka also saying that he has told Dhaval Bhai to meet my boss. He said I could leave the job and come anytime I wanted to. There was no necessity of a job. There were messages on watsapp from my other cousins asking me who had tried to harass me and if i was ok. I immediately called my mother.
 "Mom what has happened? Why am I getting so many calls?"

"Who is calling you?"

"The whole family!"

 "I do not know. I was busy meditating."

"You were what?Anyway please calm the family first and than yourself. I am okay. Yesterday was just another day Ma. You know me."

 "Why? What is happened?"

 "Everybody is calling me and asking me to leave the job and come back home."

 "Really?I had a lot if miscalls as well."

 "Please relax things there."

Amongst all this drama, I was also celebrating my roommate cum friends birthday. It was a one of those times I get confused whether to cry or laugh.

After some time I got a call from my brother saying he will not come in the office and will just take me out for lunch. My bade kaka called me back and when I explained him everything he laughed his gits out. It was the over reacting of D uncle or my mother who shared the incident, but every neighbor of each Mehta family house knew that Anvi was in some trouble. The discussions in our family are always loud enough for all to hear. In fact later on I learned my sister in London also knows about this through the watsapp group.

This was just one incident, there are many other hilarious ones. My family is just the best at times. They will fight and argue and have differences with each other. But when a tear sheds down from any one of us, there is a whole sena standing against the odds. We have faced a lot of bad times together. We were all upset but never left supporting each other. Especially our preceding generation, they have all been the best. I love my family. Though we are the typical thepla and gathia people, we have very warmly welcomed a Maratha bhabhi,a Marwari and a Shrivastav Jiju.
 I still do wonder though how my elder ones managed to hide their love stories before marriage . I also wonder how my husband would be welcomed. I guess it would be my aunties talking in a Gujju tone Hindi:

"Are Jamai Kumar ne koi ghee parso dal dhokli ma. Sharmata nai haa Jamai Ji."

 I am so looking forward for that moment. Anyway for now this incident is made me feel good as well. My family loves me..<3 data-blogger-escaped-b="">Day 4: My Family Blog for my 50 Days 50 Topics challenge

- By Anvi Mehta

1 comment: